Hands-on time15 mins Total time8 hrs, 52 mins Yield Serves 10 (serving size: 1 slice)
Be patient as you whip the egg mixture. Because there are a couple of yolks in the mix, it takes a full 5 minutes to reach soft peak stage. Dollop with whipped topping and serve with raspberries.
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup Dutch process cocoa
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso granules
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2large Eggs
- 2large egg whites
- 1/3 cup sugar
- Dash of salt
- 1 1/2 cups frozen reduced-calorie whipped topping, thawed
- baking spray with flour (such as Baker's Joy)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup chocolate hazelnut spread
- 8 ounces Cream Cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup crushed peppermint Candy Canes
- Grease a 9-inch springform pan with 1 tablespoon butter; set aside.
- In a food processor, pulse hazelnuts with granulated sugar until finely ground. Add flour, cocoa powder, softened butter,and salt. Continue to pulse until well blended. Press into bottom of pan. (Mixture may be crumbly; use hands to press into pan in an even layer.) Poke with fork.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven for 18 to 20 minutes. Cool completely.
- In a small saucepan, add cold water to pan. Sprinkle with gelatin and allow to bloom (absorb water) for 2 minutes. Heat saucepan on low and whisk gelatin water for several minutes until completely absorbed and dissolved. Remove from heat.
- In mixing bowl, beat chocolate hazelnut spread, cream cheese, and peppermint extract. Add gelatin to cream cheese mixture. Beat on medium high for 2 to 3 minutes, scraping down sides of bowl as necessary. Set aside.
- In a cold mixing bowl, beat heavy cream with sugar until soft peaks form. Fold in cream cheese mixture. Pour over cooled crust and refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight.
- To remove springform pan, use plastic knife and run along edges. Remove sides of pan.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle with powdered sugar and crushed candy canes.
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate or semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 2 Egg yolks, beaten
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- cinnamon Poached Pears (see Recipe Center)
- Whipped cream (optional)
- Chocolate shavings (optional)
- In a small saucepan combine chopped chocolate, egg yolks, sugar, water, and 1/2 cup of the whipping cream. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture starts to bubble around edges. Remove from heat. Pour into a large bowl set in a bowl of ice water. Cool 15 to 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
- In a chilled mixing bowl beat remaining 1 cup whipping cream with chilled beaters just until thickened (do not beat to soft peaks or mousse will be too stiff). Fold into cooled chocolate mixture. Cover and chill in the refrigerator 2 to 24 hours.
- Spoon mousse into individual bowls. Serve with Cinnamon Poached Pears. Top mousse with additional whipped cream and chocolate shavings. Makes 8 servings.
- 2 ounces malted milk balls (about 2/3 cup)
- 4 ounces Milk Chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 3 cups whipping cream
- 1/3 cup chocolate malted milk powder
- 2 tablespoons chocolate liqueur, almond liqueur, or milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- Malted milk balls (optional)
- Place the 2 ounces malted milk balls in large resealable plastic bag and finely crush with rolling pin. Set aside.
- For mousse, in small saucepan heat milk chocolate and bittersweet chocolate with 1/4 cup of the whipping cream over low heat until smooth, stirring constantly. Stir in malted milk powder, liqueur, and vanilla. Cool to room temperature.
- In large chilled mixing bowl with chilled beaters beat 1-3/4 cups whipping cream to stiff peaks (peaks stand straight). Stir about 1/2 cup of the whipped cream into melted chocolate mixture; fold chocolate mixture back into remaining whipped cream. Fold in crushed malted milk balls. Spoon into 1-1/2- to 2-quart dish or 8 to 10 small bowls or glasses. Cover and refrigerate 1 to 24 hours.
- In medium chilled bowl combine remaining 1 cup whipping cream, sugar, and cocoa powder; beat to soft peaks. Spoon on mousse. Top with malted milk balls. Makes 8 to 10 servings.