Make batches of this versatile curry sauce
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 500g onion, finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- large knob root ginger peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Madras curry paste
- 400g can chopped tomato
MethodThrow in onions and cook for 10 mins, or until soft. Tip in the garlic and ginger, then cook for a further 2 mins, watching the garlic doesn’t burn. Stir in curry paste and cook for another min.
- 6 large baking potatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp tikka masala curry paste
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 400g can reduced-fat coconut milk
- handful coriander leaves, chopped (optional)
- juice ½ lemon
- Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Cut the potatoes into wedges. Pour the oil into a large roasting pan (no need to peel), toss in the wedges until coated all over, then season with pepper. Bake for 35-40 mins until crisp and golden.
- Put the curry paste and tomato purée in a saucepan, stir well and fry for 1 min. Add the coconut milk, bring to the boil, then gently simmer for 10 mins. Can be frozen or made up to a day ahead. Season to taste and finish with a squeeze of lemon juice and a scattering of coriander, if using.
- 1 recipeTurkey-Pork Meatballs
- 3cups water
- 1pound carrots, thinly sliced
- 114 1/2- ounce canreduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup unsweetened light coconut milk
- 2tablespoons chopped shallot (1 medium)
- 1tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2teaspoons curry powder
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Dashground white pepper
- 1tablespoon cold water
- 1teaspoon cornstarch
- 2tablespoons finely chopped cashews
- 2tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro
- Prepare Turkey-Pork Meatballs; set aside.
- In a 4-quart Dutch oven bring the 3 cups water to boiling. Add carrots. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 5 to 7 minutes or until carrots are tender; drain.
- In the same Dutch oven combine cooked carrots, broth, coconut milk, shallot, ginger, curry powder, garlic, and white pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 5 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Transfer mixture to a food processor or blender. Cover and process or blend until smooth. Return mixture to Dutch oven. In a small bowl combine the 1 tablespoon cold water and the cornstarch; stir into mixture in Dutch oven. Cook and stir until slightly thickened and bubbly. Gently stir in meatballs; heat through. Sprinkle with cashews and cilantro.
- 4 pounds lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 large onions, peeled and chopped
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 3 cans (28 ounces each) whole tomatoes in juice, broken up
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Crumble ground beef into a large nonstick pot. Cook over medium-high heat for 12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour off accumulated liquid.
- Add oil, onions, carrots and garlic. Cook for 7 minutes, stirring. Add wine; cook 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, sugar, salt and pepper. Simmer, partially covered, for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Divide 12 cups of sauce among 3 containers. Cool to room temperature, then cover and freeze for up to 2 months. Use remaining 4 cups for Baked Ziti recipe (on www.familycircle.com).