- 2ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, cut up
- 1/2 teaspoon shortening
- 11.9- ounce package (15)baked miniature phyllo dough shells
- 3/4 cup fat-free, sugar-free, reduced-calorie vanilla instant pudding
- 15 semisweet chocolate pieces, chocolate curls, or chocolate shavings
MethodCook and stir over low heat until melted. Remove from heat.
- 3 egg whites
- 2tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1tablespoon cornstarch
- 1teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or foil; set aside. In a small bowl, stir together powdered sugar and cocoa powder; set aside. In another small bowl, stir together granulated sugar and cornstarch; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. In a large bowl, combine egg whites, vanilla, and cream of tartar. Beat with an electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form (tips curl over). Gradually add the granulated sugar mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Divide mixture in half. Gradually fold cocoa powder mixture into half of the egg white mixture.
- Place white and chocolate egg white mixtures into separate pastry bags, each fitted with a 1/2-inch star tip (or place in two heavy resealable plastic bags and cut a small hole in corner of each bag). Pipe twenty-four chocolate stars or mounds, each about 1 inch wide, onto prepared cookie sheet. Pipe a 1-inch-wide white star on top of each chocolate star. Repeat with remaining egg white mixtures, reversing the white and chocolate layers. Bake for 10 minutes. Turn off oven and let cool in oven for 30 minutes. Makes 48 bites.
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 large red sweet pepper, cored, seeded and diced
- 1/2 green pepper, cored, seeded and diced
- 1/2 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 jalapeno chiles, trimmed, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 ounces dark beer
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Sliced scallions, chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat oil in a large nonstick pot over medium-high heat. Add peppers, onion, jalapenos and garlic. Cook 5 minutes until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add chili powder and cumin. Cook, stirring occasionally, 1 minute. Add tomatoes, cannellini beans, black beans, beer and salt. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. Serve chili topped with cheese, scallions and cilantro.
- 2 sticks (1/2 pound) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large Eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate, melted
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place butter and granulated sugar in a mixer fitted with a paddle and beat until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well between additions. Add milk and vanilla and beat well. Place flours and baking powder in a bowl and mix well. With mixer running, gradually add dry ingredients to butter mixture; beat until completely mixed.
- Form the dough into tablespoon-size balls and place about 2 inches apart on the prepared cookie sheets. Transfer to the oven and bake until the edges of the cookies just begin to brown, about 25 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and repeat with the remaining dough.
- Place the confectioners' sugar in a large mixing bowl and add the water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the mixture is spreadable but still thick. Transfer half the icing to another mixing bowl and stir in the melted chocolate. Set aside to cool.
- Spread half of one side of the cookies with white icing and the other half with the chocolate icing. Set aside until the icing hardens completely.