Everyone loves this super healthy soup, perfect for an easy supper
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 potato, chopped
- 450g carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1.2l vegetable or chicken stock
- handful coriander (about ½ a supermarket packet)
MethodStir in the ground coriander and potato, then cook for 1 min. Add the carrots and stock, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat. Cover and cook for 20 mins until the carrots are tender.
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp medium curry powder
- 1¼kg carrot, 1kg/2lb 4oz roughly sliced, rest coarsely grated
- 3 x 400g cans butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 1.2l vegetable stock
- 400ml whole milk
- snipped chives, if you like, to serve, plus 2 crusty loaves
- Put the oil and onions in the biggest saucepan or casserole you have and soften for 10 mins. Stir in the spices and cook for 2 mins, then add the sliced carrots with half the beans and the vegetable stock. Bring to a simmer, then cover and cook for 15-20 mins until the carrots are tender.
- Whizz the soup to a purée with a hand blender, or purée in batches in a blender or food processor. Tip it back into the pan (pour it through a sieve or a colander if you like), and stir in the remaining beans and grated carrot with 500ml hot water. Bring back to a simmer, then cover and cook gently for 10 mins.
- Stir in the milk and season to taste, then keep on a very gentle heat until needed. If you like, snip a few chives over and serve with crusty bread.
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- pinch chilli flakes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 600g carrots, washed and coarsely grated (no need to peel)
- 140g split red lentils
- 1l hot vegetable stock (from a cube is fine)
- 125ml milk
- plain yogurt and naan bread, to serve
- Heat a large saucepan and dry-fry the cumin seeds and chilli flakes for 1 min, or until they start to jump around the pan and release their aromas. Scoop out about half of the seeds with a spoon and set aside. Add the oil, carrot, lentils, stock and milk to the pan and bring to the boil. Simmer for 15 mins until the lentils have swollen and softened.
- Whizz the soup with a stick blender or in a food processor until smooth (or leave it chunky if you prefer). Season to taste and finish with a dollop of yogurt and a sprinkling of the reserved toasted spices. Serve with warmed naan breads.
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 onion chopped
- 225g carrots diced
- 75g red lentils
- 300ml orange juice
- 2 tbsp low-fat natural yogurt
- fresh chopped coriander to garnish
- pinch paprika to garnish
- 600ml vegetable stock
- Crush the seeds in a pestle and mortar, then dry-fry for 2 mins in a large pan until lightly browned. Add the onion, carrots, lentils, orange juice, stock and seasoning, then bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 30 mins until the lentils are soft.
- Transfer to a food processor in batches and process until smooth. Return to the pan, then gently reheat, stirring occasionally. Adjust seasoning to taste. Ladle into individual serving bowls, swirl the yogurt over and sprinkle with the chopped coriander leaves and paprika. Serve immediately.