Try swapping traditional seafood paella for a chicken and chorizo version - a hearty family supper for four
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts fillets, cut into chunks
- 2 small onions, finely sliced
- 1 fat garlic clove, crushed
- 140g cooking chorizo, sliced
- 1 tsp turmeric
- pinch of saffron
- 1 tsp paprika
- 300g paella rice
- 850ml hot chicken or vegetable stock
- 200g frozen peas
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges, to serve
- ½ small pack parsley, finely chopped, to serve
MethodAdd the chicken and brown all over – don’t cook completely. Once browned, transfer to a plate. Reduce the heat to low, add the onions and cook slowly until softened, about 10 mins.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 10 chicken leg pieces (or 10 each thighs and drumsticks)
- 4 heads fennel, trimmed, cut into wedges
- 200g chorizo, cut into chunks
- 5 leeks, trimmed and thickly sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp hot smoked paprika
- 150ml dry sherry
- 750g large or plum tomatoes, quartered
- small bunch coriander, leaves only
- On the hob, heat the olive oil in a large frying pan. Season the chicken pieces, then fry, in batches, until golden brown on both sides. Lift out and set aside.
- Pour all but 3 tbsp fat from the pan, add fennel and chorizo, then cook, stirring, until the fennel is soft and lightly coloured. Add leeks, cook until soft. Add garlic and paprika, cook for 1 min more, then pour in the Sherry. Let bubble for 1 min, stirring well, taste, then season.
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Pour the mix into 2 ovenproof dishes. Scatter tomatoes over, then arrange the chicken on top. Cover with foil, then cook for 20 mins, until the chicken is cooked through. During cooking, check and add a little water if it seems to be getting dry.
- Turn the oven up to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Uncover the chicken and season the skin with salt and pepper. Bake for 20-30 mins until the chicken is heated through and the skin is crisp. Rip the coriander leaves over the top and serve straight away.
- 200g cooking chorizo, cut into chunks
- 25g butter
- 350g good chicken livers, cleaned and trimmed
- 110g bag baby salad leaves
- bunch parsley, roughly chopped
- large handful walnut halves
- 1 tbsp walnut oil
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- Cook the chorizo in a large frying pan until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside, reserving 1 tbsp of the chorizo oil. For the dressing, whisk together the walnut oil, reserved chorizo oil and white wine vinegar, then season.
- Melt the butter in the same pan until sizzling, then cook the chicken livers for about 2 mins each side. Combine everything together in a large bowl, then drizzle over the dressing, toss well and serve straight away
- 140g cooking chorizo
- 2 red onions, cut into wedges
- 4 garlic cloves, left whole
- 4 chicken thighs
- 4 chicken drumsticks
- 4 medium potatoes, unpeeled and cut into wedges
- 2 rosemary sprigs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Cut the chorizo into slices the thickness of a pound coin. Put the onion and garlic in the bottom of a large roasting tin. Scatter over the chorizo, then add the chicken pieces, potato, rosemary and a couple of grinds of black pepper. Drizzle with olive oil, then bake for 45 mins.
- Halfway through the cooking time, give everything a good baste in the chorizo juices.