Give your mince pies an edge this year with a nutty filling - ready in just 20 minutes
- 4 Bramley apples, peeled, cored and grated
- 350g light muscovado sugar
- zest and juice 1 orange
- zest and juice 1 lemon
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp allspice
- 100g dried cranberries
- 100g sultanas
- 100g raisins
- 100g currants
- 100ml brandy
- 85g flaked almond
- 100g shredded suet or light shredded vegetable suet
MethodBring gently to a simmer, stirring until the sugar has melted. Turn off the heat and stir in the spices, dried fruit and brandy. Set aside until cool.
- 1 large red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, roughly chopped, or handful cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus a little extra
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 trout fillets, about 140g each
- 2 tbsp flaked almonds
- lemon wedges and rocket salad, to serve
- Heat oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5. Tip the pepper, tomatoes, garlic, oil and vinegar into a roasting tin, then toss them together. Roast for 20 mins, then make a space in the roasting tin for the trout fillets, scattering with the almonds and a little salt and pepper.
- Return to the oven for a further 10-15 mins, until the fish is cooked and the almonds lightly toasted. Serve with lemon wedges for squeezing over and a rocket salad on the side.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 300g quinoa, rinsed
- 50g toasted flaked almonds
- 100g feta cheese, crumbled
- handful parsley, roughly chopped
- juice ½ lemon
- Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the spices, then fry for a min or so until fragrant. Add the quinoa, then fry for a further min until you can hear gentle popping sounds. Stir in 600ml boiling water, then gently simmer for 10-15 mins until the water has evaporated and the quinoa grains have a white ‘halo’ around them. Allow to cool slightly, then stir through the other ingredients. Serve warm or cold.
- 100g cashew nuts
- 600g cooked basmati rice, cooled (about 400g/14oz uncooked)
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and finely sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and finely sliced
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- 3 tbsp mango chutney
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp curry powder
- juice ½ lemon
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients, season, then set aside. Heat a small nonstick pan and put in the cashew nuts, stirring for a few mins, until starting to brown.
- Toss the rice, peppers, onion and most of the cashews together, then gently fold in the dressing. Chill for up to a day, then scatter with the remaining cashews before serving.