This warming ginger beer-spiced ham is great for Christmas entertaining as it's simple to prepare ahead of time
- 3kg mild-cure gammon
- 1 onion, halved
- 3 tangerines, zest removed with a vegetable peeler
- 4 star anise
- 2l ginger beer
- 3 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- small handful cloves
MethodPour over all but 100ml of the ginger beer and, if necessary, top up with water so the gammon is just covered. Bring to the boil, skim the surface to remove any fat, reduce to a simmer, then cover and cook for 3-3½ hrs or until the meat is tender. When the gammon is cooked, remove it from the pan. Reserve the cooking liquor and use to cook lentils (see 'Goes well with'). Cool, cover and chill at this stage if you want to prepare ahead – bring back to room temp before continuing.
- 1l ginger beer
- 500ml chilled apple juice
- 500ml vanilla vodka (or add 1 tsp vanilla extract to plain vodka)
- 4 limes, 2 juiced, 2 cut into wedges
- 1 apple, thinly sliced
- thumb-sized piece ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- Combine ginger beer, apple juice, vanilla vodka and lime juice in a large jug.
- Add apple, ginger and limes wedges to the punch. Add lots of ice just before serving.
- 100g ginger, scrubbed and roughly chopped
- 1 lemon, chopped
- 100g light muscovado sugar
- 1-litre bottle chilled lemonade or sparkling water, to serve
- Put the ginger and lemon in a bowl, pour over 300ml water and blitz with a hand blender until very smooth. Strain through a sieve into a bowl, then press the pulp to remove as much liquid as you can. Add the sugar to the bowl and blitz again.
- Decant into a bottle. Chill until ready to use. Add the lemonade or sparkling water to dilute before serving.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, about 500g/1lb 2oz total weight
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- grated zest of 1 orange
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- Make several diagonal slashes across each chicken breast. Tip the other ingredients into a wide shallow bowl and swirl them together until everything is well mixed. Add the chicken breasts and turn them in the mixture until they are evenly coated. At this point you can cover the dish with cling film and chill the chicken for 24 hours, but it’s also fine to cook them straight away.
- Preheat the grill or light the BBQ. Then cook the chicken for 5-6 minutes each side, turning once and brushing or spooning over more marinade as you go, until the chicken is browned and glossy. Serve the chicken on a bed of dressed salad leaves.