Easily turn a classic fruitcake into cute personalised gifts or place markers for Christmas lunch with fondant icing and cocktail
- 1 x 22cm square Suits-all Christmas cake (see 'Goes well with' for the recipe)
- about 600g/1lb 5oz marzipan
- 140g apricot jam
- 1kg pack fondant icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
- assorted food colourings
- about 140g/5oz ready-to-roll fondant icing
- sprinkles, to decorate
- coloured cocktail sticks, to decorate
- cards, to decorate
MethodDivide your marzipan into 16 equal pieces.
- In a jam jar, mix gin with cordial. When ready to serve, divide the mixture between 8 glasses, top up with apple juice, apple slices and ice.
- 140g artichoke in olive oil, drained
- pinch of chilli flakes
- small handful mint leaves
- zest ½ lemon
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 2 large or 4 small slices of crusty bread
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 50g pecorino, thinly sliced (or vegetarian alternative)
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Halve or quarter the artichokes, if whole, and put them in a bowl with the chilli flakes, mint, zest and oil. Season lightly with salt and set aside.
- Put the bread on a baking sheet and scatter over the garlic. Drizzle with olive oil and season with sea salt. Bake for 10 mins, or until golden and crisp. Set aside to cool.
- Fold the pecorino through the marinated artichokes and spoon over the garlic bruschetta just before eating.
- 1 ready-roasted chicken
- 295g can mandarin segment in juice (not syrup)
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into chunks
- 1 fist-sized chunk red cabbage
- 100g toasted salted cashew
- 60g watercress, rocket & spinach salad
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame seed
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 4 tbsp mandarin juice from the can
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- ½ tsp xanthan gum (if you have it)
- Remove the skin from the chicken and discard, then shred the meat from the bones. Discard the carcass (or freeze for stock or soup another time, see right).
- Drain the mandarin segments over a bowl to catch the juice, then whisk together with the sesame oil and vinegar. If you’re using xanthan gum, put this in a bowl and, using a small sauce whisk, whisk in 1 tsp of the dressing at a time until you have a smooth, runny paste, then whisk in the remaining dressing.
- Layer the shredded chicken, mandarin segments, red onion, pepper, cabbage, salad leaves and sesame seeds in a big salad bowl or on a platter. Pour over the dressing, toss to combine then serve.