We've used some top tricks to come up with the perfect roast potatoes with crisp coatings and fluffy middles
- 2½ kg Maris Piper potatoes
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tbsp polenta
- large pinch of paprika (not hot or smoked)
- 8 tbsp sunflower oil
- 8 tbsp duck or goose fat
- sea salt flakes, for sprinkling
MethodPeel the potatoes and cut into large chunks or, if they are small enough, keep them whole. Place in a pan of salted water, add most of the turmeric, stir and bring to the boil. Turn down the heat and simmer the potatoes for 6 mins until the sides are fluffy. Drain well and leave to cool slightly. Mix the flour, polenta, paprika and remaining turmeric together in a large bowl, then toss through the potatoes until evenly coated in the flour mix.
- 800g smallish potato, small ones left whole, larger ones quartered
- 3 large parsnips, cut into large chunks
- 4 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 garlic bulbs, split into cloves
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Cook the potatoes and parsnips in a large pan of boiling salted water for 3 mins. Drain, then separate potatoes from parsnips.
- Meanwhile, pour the oil into a roasting tin and heat for 5 mins. Coat the potatoes in the hot oil, then roast for 25 mins. Remove from oven, add the parsnips and garlic, then return to the oven and cook for a further 30 mins, giving the tin a shake halfway through.
- 2¼kg floury potatoes, preferably Desiree or King Edward
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 6 tbsp light olive or sunflower oil
- ½ tsp paprika
- Maldon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 190C/gas 5/fan 170C. Peel the potatoes and cut into big chunks. Put them in a large saucepan of boiling salted water, sprinkle in the turmeric and give a good stir. Bring back to the boil, then cover and simmer the potatoes for 4 minutes.
- Pour the oil into a roasting tin and put in the oven to heat through for 5minutes. Drain the potatoes well in a colander and give a gentle shake to rough up the surfaces a bit – but not too much or they’ll break up. This rougher surface will give you crisper potatoes.
- Carefully tip the potatoes into the hot fat in the roasting tin, tossing with a big metal spoon to coat. Scatter with a light sprinkling of paprika and roast, without turning, for about 11⁄4 hours or until golden and crisp. Sprinkle the potatoes with Maldon sea salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper and serve immediately
- 1½ kg Maris Piper potatoes, cut into bite-size chunks
- 3 tbsp duck fat or sunflower oil
- small handful parsley, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- Up to 2 days ahead, boil the potatoes for 2 mins, then drain and leave to cool.
- Thirty mins before serving, melt the duck fat in a large frying pan and add the potatoes. Start them on a high heat to get some colour, then turn the heat down to sizzle the potatoes slowly for 20 mins, shaking the pan occasionally, until completely golden and crisp.
- Just before serving, toss through the parsley and garlic, season with salt and serve.