Throw together a healthy Italian snack of charred aubergine with sweet and spicy basil dressing
- 1 aubergine, thinly sliced
- 4 vine tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 red chilli, diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus a little for brushing
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 bunch basil,roughly chopped
MethodBrush sliced aubergine with olive oil, then grill for 3 mins on each side. Put in a bowl and cover with cling film for 5 mins.
- 4 escalopes of pork, about 100g/4oz each
- 1 egg white
- 3 tbsp dry breadcrumbs
- 400g can chopped tomato
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 large aubergine, cut into ½cm slices
- 4 tsp olive oil
- Trim off any visible fat from the pork and season with a little pepper. Beat the egg white with a fork in a shallow dish. Tip the breadcrumbs onto a plate. Coat pork first in egg, then in breadcrumbs. Chill to set the coating until ready to cook.
- Tip the tomatoes into a pan with the chilli, garlic and sugar. Bring to the boil, then simmer for about 10 mins until thickened. Brush aubergine slices lightly on both sides with a little of the oil. Grill for 3-4 mins each side until tender and golden.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a large non-stick frying pan. Add the pork and fry for 3-4 mins each side until golden brown. Serve each pork escalope topped with aubergine slices and a spoonful of tomato sauce, with some green beans on the side, if you like.
- 4 ears corn on the cob, shucked and silks removed
- 1 12 ounce head radicchio, quartered lengthwise
- 8 ounces Halloumi cheese, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup chopped pickled hot peppers (such as banana peppers or cherry peppers)
- 2 tablespoons brine from pickled peppers
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon White Wine vinegar
- Fresh Basil
- Brush corn, radicchio, and cheese with the 2 tablespoons oil. Grill corn on rack of a covered grill directly over medium heat 10 minutes; turn. Add radicchio. Grill 5 minutes more; turn. Add cheese. Grill 5 minutes, turning once. Remove; cool.
- In a large bowl whisk together pickled peppers, brine, the 1/4 cup oil, and vinegar. Cut corn from cobs and chop radicchio; add to bowl. Serve with cheese and fresh basil.
- 1 pound boneless Pork Loin chops
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1 Red Onion, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 8 ounces whole Green Beans, trimmed
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 2 hearts of romaine, quartered lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup chopped Fresh Basil
- crumbled cheese (such as feta or blue)
- Line half of a gas or charcoal grill with heavy foil. Preheat grill to medium-high, then reduce heat to medium. Season pork with salt and pepper. Toss onion slices and beans with 1 tablespoon of the oil. Place pork on the unlined side of the rack. Place vegetables on foil-lined side. Grill pork and vegetables, covered, for 9 to 11 minutes or until pork is done (145 degrees F) and vegetables are tender, turning once.
- Remove pork to a cutting board. Cover and set aside. Use foil to lift vegetables from grill. Coarsely chop vegetables and place in a large bowl.
- Brush romaine with 1 tablespoon of the oil. Grill for 1 minute per side or until slightly charred. Chop the romaine and arrange on plates.
- Slice pork and add to bean mixture. Add remaining oil and vinegar; toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon over lettuce and top with basil and cheese.