Throw a new spin on tricolore salad by adding artichokes to the traditional mozzarella cheese, tomatoes and basil
- 6 slices pancetta
- 2 balls mozzarella, torn into chunks
- 6-8 tomatoes, chopped into large pieces
- 285g jar artichoke in oil, drained
- large handful basil leaves
- crusty bread, to serve
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 3-4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 tbsp sherry vinegar
MethodSet aside to cool. Mix together the dressing ingredients and season.
- 2 Cos lettuces
- 2 large ripe avocados
- 400g can palm heart, drained
- 140g wedge blue cheese, such as Danish blue or stilton
- handful toasted pine nuts
- 100ml/3½ fl oz extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Remove the outer leaves of the lettuce and cut each heart into quarters from top to bottom. Soak in a sink filled with cold water for a few minutes. Split the avocados and remove the stones. Scoop the flesh out with a spoon and chop into large chunks. Cut the palm hearts into chunks of the same size. Using a sharp knife, cut the cheese into small pieces. Whisk together the dressing ingredients with some salt and pepper.
- Drain the lettuce, then tear into bite-sized pieces and divide between four bowls. Pile a quarter of each of the other ingredients on top of each serving. Pass round the dressing and let everyone toss their own salad.
- 1 garlic bulb, broken into cloves, unpeeled
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 3 onions, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 12 slices pancetta
- 400g linguine
- 200g firm goat's cheese
- handful chopped parsley, to serve
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Loosely wrap the garlic cloves in some foil with 1 tsp oil. Place in a roasting tin and cook for about 20 mins until soft. Meanwhile, heat 2 tbsp oil and fry the onions until caramelised, about 15 mins, adding the thyme for the final 5 mins.
- In a separate pan, dry-fry the pancetta until golden and crisp, then set aside. Cook the pasta. Pop the roasted garlic out of their skins, add to the onions, then stir in the remaining oil. Drain the pasta, then toss through the onions, adding a good splash of cooking water. Crumble over the cheese and lightly stir. Season, then pile onto plates. Scatter with parsley, drizzle with some more oil and top with pancetta slices.
- meat from 1 ready-roasted chicken, shredded
- 6 rashers smoked streaky bacon
- 1 small red onion, halved, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 100g bag watercress
- 2-3 heads red chicory, separated into leaves and halved if large
- ¾ cucumber, halved, seeds scooped out, then sliced on the diagonal
- 200g tub Greek yogurt
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsp chopped tarragon
- Mix the ingredients for the dressing with a little seasoning. Stir in the chicken and loosen with water if necessary.
- Slowly cook the bacon in a large frying pan until crisp and the fat has run out. Drain on kitchen paper. Meanwhile, mix the onion with the oil, vinegar and seasoning.
- Toss the onion with the watercress, chicory and cucumber, then pile onto a platter. Spoon the chicken on top, then break or chop the bacon over the top of that. Serve with crusty bread.