This vegetarian curry brings together classic flavours of south-west India, including freshly grated coconut and green chilli
- 1kg mix of vegetables including aubergine, carrot, okra, plantain, potato and squash, prepared appropriately and cut into chunks
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 5 small green chillies, 4 chopped, 1 left whole but split lengthways
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 200g/7oz freshly grated coconut (see step-by-step prep guide)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 10 curry leaves
- 150ml plain yogurt
MethodAdd the turmeric and a pinch of salt and bring to the boil. Simmer for 20-25 mins until tender.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp Thai green curry paste
- 1 lemongrass stalk, outer layer removed, finely chopped
- 2 red peppers, cut into chunky strips
- 450g baby new potatoes, halved
- 2 x 400g cans coconut milk, see tip
- 300ml chicken stock
- 5 kaffir lime leaves, torn
- 1 bunch spring onions, sliced
- 225g frozen peas
- 600g raw king prawns
- 100g bag baby spinach
- 2 tbsp Thai fish sauce
- bunch coriander, leaves picked
- juice 1 lime, plus extra wedges, to serve
- Heat oil in a large frying pan or wok. Fry the curry paste and lemongrass for 1 min, until fragrant. Tip in peppers and new potatoes, then stir them to coat in the paste. Cook for 1-2 mins. Pour in coconut milk, stock and kaffir lime leaves, then bring to the boil. Simmer and cook for 15 mins, until potatoes are just tender.
- Add remaining ingredients, but if you’re freezing don’t add spinach or coriander yet, and cook until the prawns turn pink, about 4 mins. Serve, with some extra lime wedges, if you like, or cool before freezing in containers.
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 500g boneless, skinless chicken thigh, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1-2 tbsp Thai green curry paste
- 2 small parsnips, cut into chunks
- 400g can coconut milk
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tsp light muscovado sugar
- 100g mushroom, sliced
- handful frozen peas
- handful basil leaves, torn
- Heat the oil in a large pan, add the chicken and fry until lightly coloured. Stir in the curry paste to coat the chicken. Add the parsnips, coconut milk, fish sauce and sugar, then bring to a gentle simmer, stirring every now and then.
- Reduce the heat, cover the pan and cook for 10 mins. Add the mushrooms and peas, then cook for a further 5 mins until the chicken and vegetables are tender. Scatter with basil to serve.
- 1-2 tbsp red Thai curry paste (depending on taste)
- 500ml low-sodium vegetable stock
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 aubergine, diced
- 75g red lentil
- 200ml can reduced-fat coconut milk
- 2 red or yellow peppers, deseeded and cut into wedges
- 140g frozen pea
- 100g bag baby spinach, roughly chopped
- brown basmati rice and mango chutney, to serve
- Heat the curry paste in a large non-stick saucepan with a splash of the stock. Add the onions and fry for 5 mins until starting to soften. Stir in the aubergine and cook for a further 5 mins – add a little more stock if starting to stick.
- Add the lentils, coconut milk and the rest of the stock, and simmer for 15 mins or until the lentils are tender. Add the peppers and cook for 5-10 mins more. Stir through the peas and spinach and cook until spinach has just wilted. Serve the curry with rice and mango chutney.