Prep Time 20min. Total Time 4hr. 50min. Servings 24 servings
In this tasty pumpkin hybrid dessert, you get two favorites—cake and flan—in one, topped with creamy dollops of COOL WHIP Whipped Topping.
- 1-3/4 cupssugar, divided
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp. water, divided
- 1 can (12 oz.) evaporated milk
- 4 oz. (1/2 of 8-oz. pkg.) philadelphia Cream Cheese, cubed, softened
- 8 Eggs, divided
- 1 can (15 oz.) pumpkin, divided
- 1 pkg. (2-layer size) yellow cake mix
- 1/3 cupoil
- 1 tsp.ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp.ground cloves
- 1/2 cup thawed cool WHIP Whipped Topping
- 3 cups cake flour (not self-rising)
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Pumpkin Pie spice
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cups solid-pack pumpkin puree
- 3 Eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 4 ounces reduced-fat Cream Cheese
- 1/2 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat 12-cup bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium-size bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and pumpkin pie spice.
- Beat together the butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in the pumpkin, eggs and vanilla.
- Into pumpkin mixture, alternately beat in flour mixture and milk. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 57 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center of the cake tests clean. Cool the cake in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove cake to wire rack to cool completely.
- Beat together the cream cheese, confectioners' sugar, milk, lemon zest, lemon juice and vanilla in a medium bowl until well blended and a good glazing consistency. Pour the glaze over top of the cake, letting it drip down the sides.
- 1cup all-purpose, flour
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder,(not Dutch-process)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1teaspoon Pumpkin Pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1cup nonfat buttermilk
- 115 - ounce canunsweetened pumpkin puree
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 large Egg, at room temperature
- 1 large egg white, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup packed confectioners' sugar
- 1tablespoon nonfat buttermilk
- 2tablespoons mini Chocolate Chips, or toasted chopped nuts(see Tip)
- To prepare cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 12-cup Bundt pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, granulated sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice and salt in a medium bowl.
- Blend 1 cup buttermilk, pumpkin puree and brown sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer on low speed. Beat in whole egg and egg white. Stir in oil, corn syrup and vanilla. Gradually add the dry ingredients, stirring until just combined. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan.
- Bake the cake until a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out with only a few moist crumbs attached, 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Let cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Remove from the pan and let cool completely on the rack, about 2 hours.
- To glaze & garnish cake: Combine confectioners' sugar and 1 tablespoon buttermilk in a small bowl, stirring until completely smooth. Place the cake on a serving plate and drizzle the glaze over the top; garnish with chocolate chips (or chopped nuts) while the glaze is still moist.
- Tips:Tips: To warm an egg to room temperature, either set it out on the counter for 15 minutes or submerge it (in the shell) in a bowl of lukewarm (not hot) water for 5 minutes.
- To toast chopped nuts & seeds: Cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
- MAKE AHEAD TIP: Prepare through Step 4 up to 1 day ahead. Glaze and garnish (Step 5) shortly before serving. Equipment: 12-cup Bundt pan
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons Pumpkin Pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large Eggs
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 3 ounces dark chocolate, melted
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
- 2 - 3 tablespoons milk or orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9x5-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray. Line bottom of pan with parchment paper and coat the parchment paper with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together eggs and sugar. Add melted butter, buttermilk, and vanilla. Whisk until combined. Fold in pumpkin.
- Add the wet ingredients all at once to the dry ingredients and whisk just until no lumps remain.
- Divide batter in half. Add the melted chocolate and cocoa powder to half of the batter; stir to combine.
- Add the two batters to the loaf pan, alternating between pumpkin and chocolate. Using a table knife, swirl through the batter. Bake for 55 to 65 minutes until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Remove and cool in pan for 20 minutes. Remove and cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl stir together the powdered sugar, half of the orange peel, and enough of the orange juice to make of drizzling consistency. Spoon over cooled loaf. Top with remaining orange peel.