Baking the squash before putting in a food processor will will result in a smoother, creamier puree, especially if you add a splash of butter or cream!
MethodSplit open, scoop out flesh into a food processor and puree with butter or cream and seasonings.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Brush a rimmed baking sheet with oil.
- Cut squash in half and scrape out seeds and membranes. Place the squash, cut-side down, on the prepared baking sheet. Bake until soft, 35 to 45 minutes for buttercup or acorn squash, 40 to 50 minutes for butternut. Let cool slightly.
- Scoop the squash flesh into a food processor. Pulse until smooth. For a chunkier texture, mash squash with a potato masher.
- Tips:Squash Options: Fresh winter squash can be difficult to peel and cut. To soften the skin slightly, pierce squash in several places with a fork. Microwave on high for 45 to 60 seconds, heating it just long enough to slightly steam the skin, not actually cook the flesh. Easier still, buy ready-peeled squash in season or frozen pureed squash.
We're not gonna lie. We like roasted butternut squash in anything! But it's particularly tasty in this mixed salad with nuts and red grapes.
- 1/2 cupKRAFT balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing, divided
- 1 Butternut Squash (2 lb.), peeled, cut into 1-inch Pieces
- 2 cupswater
- 1 Tbsp.brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp.crushed Red Pepper
- 1 pkg.(5 oz.)spring lettuce mix
- 2 cups seedless red grapes, cut in half
- 1/2 cupPLANTERS Dry roasted peanuts
- Heat 2 Tbsp. dressing in large skillet on medium-high heat. Add squash; cook 10 min. or until lightly browned, stirring frequently.
- Add water, sugar and crushed pepper; stir. Bring to boil; simmer on medium-low heat 15 min. or until liquid is evaporated and squash is tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in remaining dressing. Cool slightly.
- Toss lettuce with squash mixture and all remaining ingredients just before serving.
Want to impress friends and family? Make 'em this delish Cheesy Squash. Bonus: It's easy to make and is ready in just half an hour!
- 1/2 tsp.ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp.ground cumin
- 1/4cupKRAFT Zesty italian dressing
- 2 zucchini, cut into 1-inch-thick slices (about 3 cups)
- 2 smallYellow Squash, cut into 1-inch-thick slices (about 2 cups)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cans(4 oz. each) chopped green chiles, drained
- 1 cupKRAFT Shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
- Cook cinnamon and cumin in large skillet on medium heat 2 min. or until lightly toasted, stirring frequently.
- Add next 4 ingredients; mix well.Cook 5 min., stirring occasionally.
- Stir in chilies; cover.Simmer on medium-low heat 10 min.; stir.Top with cheese and cilantro.