Prep 5 m; Cook 1 h; Ready In 1 h 5 m;
"No matter when we are serving ham or even going to a family members house, this sauce is requested. It is so delicious! It is so incredibly simple, I feel bad getting praised!"
- 4 mackerel fillets (use our step-by-step guide if filleting from whole)
- zest and juice 1 lime, plus extra wedges to serve
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- butter, for greasing
- steamed baby bok choi, to serve
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and cut into matchsticks
- juice 1 lime
- thumb-sized piece ginger, grated
- 2 tbsp muscovado sugar
- Score the mackerel fillets a couple of times on the skin, then lay them in a shallow dish. Sprinkle with the lime zest and juice, and leave to marinate for 5-10 mins.
- Place all of the sauce ingredients in a small pan with a splash of water and gradually bring to a simmer. Cook for 5 mins to thicken slightly, then remove from the heat and set aside.
- Turn the grill to its highest setting and place the mackerel on a greased baking tray, skin side up. Sprinkle the fillets with the olive oil and some sea salt, then grill for 5 mins until the flesh is opaque and cooked through.
- Divide bok choi between plates, lay 2 mackerel fillets on top, drizzle with the sauce and serve with a wedge of lime.
- 150ml cider vinegar
- 150g caster sugar
- 1 small pineapple, trimmed, peeled and diced
- 2 small red onions, very finely chopped
- 2 red chillies, finely chopped (leave the seeds in if you like it hot)
- Bring the vinegar and sugar to a simmer in a big pan. Tip in the pineapple for 1-2 mins, then remove from the heat and tip into a serving bowl. When almost cool, stir in the onions and chilli. Cool completely, then chill (for up to 24 hrs) until ready to serve.
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1/4 cup refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed
- 3teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1pound 93 percent lean ground beef, ground pork, or ground turkey
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1/2 cup apricot spreadable fruit
- 1/4 cup water
- 2tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2tablespoons lemon juice
- 2teaspoons cornstarch
- 4cups fresh snow pea pods, steamed*
- Freshly ground black pepper (optional)
- Lemon wedges (optional)
- In a large bowl combine green onions, oats, egg product, 2 teaspoons of the lemon peel, the crushed red pepper, and salt. Add ground beef; mix well. Form into 1-inch meatballs.
- Lightly coat an unheated large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; place over medium-high heat until hot. Brown meatballs in skillet, turning occasionally. Meanwhile, in a small bowl combinespreadable fruit, the water, 1 tablespoon of the soy sauce, and 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice. Lightly coat an unheated 1 1/2- or 2-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Add meatballs to cooker and pour the fruit spread mixture over all in cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 4 hours or on high-heat setting for 2 hours.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the meatballs to a plate. In a small bowl whisk together the remaining 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, the cornstarch, and remaining 1 teaspoon lemon peel. Whisk into the cooking liquid in slow cooker. Gently fold in the meatballs.
- If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting. Cover and cook about 10 minutes more or until thoroughly heated and sauce is slightly thickened. Serve meatballs over snow peas. If desired, sprinkle with black pepper and serve with lemon wedges.