Yield 18 servings
This not-too-sweet cake is a great one to have on hand throughout the holidays, especially since you can serve it for breakfast or dessert.
- Cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3large Eggs
- 2(15-ounce) cans sweet potatoes, drained and mashed (about 2 cups)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) 1/3-less-fat Cream Cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon fat-free milk
- 125g unsalted butter, softened
- 180g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 180g plain flour, sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch salt
- 150g soured cream
- 100g caster sugar
- 50g unsalted butter
- 4 tbsp water
- few drops vanilla extract
- Grease and lightly flour a 1.4 litre (6 cup) fluted bundt tin. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
- Put the butter and sugar into a bowl and beat well using an electric mixer until the mixture is very light and fluffy. Add the eggs a little at a time, beating well between each addition. Add a little flour if the mixture starts to separate. Add the vanilla extract.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder and salt and stir half into the butter mixture together with half the soured cream. Beat well together.
- Add the remaining flour and soured cream and mix well. Spoon into the prepared tin and spread level.
- Bake in the oven for 35–40 mins. When cooked remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for 5 mins.
- To make the glaze put all the ingredients into a small pan and heat until the butter has melted. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat a little and simmer for 3 mins. Remove from the heat and allow to cool and thicken.
- Turn the cake out onto a wire rack over a tray. Pour or brush half of the glaze over the cake. Leave to soak in. Then pour the remaining glaze over the cake. Leave until completely cold before serving.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 4 medium sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds), peeled if desired
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Snipped fresh parsley (optional)
- Coarse salt (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with foil. Lightly coat foil with cooking spray; set baking sheets aside.
- Cut sweet potatoes lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick strips. Place sweet potatoes in a large bowl. Drizzle with oil; toss to coat. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and pepper; toss again to coat evenly. Arrange sweet potatoes in a single layer on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Turn potatoes over. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes more or until golden brown. If desired, sprinkle with parsley and/or coarse salt.
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh thyme
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced*
- 1 1/2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced*
- 1/2 cup shredded gruyere cheese or Swiss Cheese (2 ounces)
- 1/4 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese (1 ounce)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- Fresh sage leaves (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 3-quart baking dish; set aside. In a small bowl combine green onions, snipped sage, thyme, garlic, salt, and pepper; set aside.
- In the prepared baking dish, layer half of the sweet potatoes and half of the Yukon gold potatoes, alternating rows if desired. Top with half of the herb mixture; sprinkle with half of the Gruyere cheese and half of the Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers. Pour broth and cream over ingredients in dish.
- Bake, covered, for 1 hour. Uncover and bake for 15 to 20 minutes more or until potatoes are tender and top is lightly browned. Let stand for 10 to 15 minutes before serving. If desired, garnish with sage leaves.