Check out our fresh ideas for baked potato or sandwich fillings - from cheese to tandoori prawns
- 200g soft cheese
- 100g mozzarella, grated
- 100g mature cheddar, grated
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- 3 tbsp milk
- 4 hot jacket potatoes
- dollop of onion chutney, to serve
- grind black pepper, to serve
MethodSpoon into jacket potatoes and top each with a grind of black pepper and a dollop of onion chutney.
- small knob of butter
- 6 rashers smoked bacon, chopped into pieces
- 3 onions, thinly sliced
- 200ml double cream
- 500g block shortcrust pastry (all-butter has the best flavour)
- plain flour, for duting
- 140g hard farmhouse cheese, such as cheddar, half grated, half crumbled
- 1 egg, beaten
- 140g cherry tomato, halved
- Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Heat the butter in a frying pan until sizzling, then add the bacon and cook for 6 mins until just starting to crisp. Add the onions and sweat for 10 mins until soft, sticky and golden. Pour in the cream, take off the heat and leave to cool a little.
- Meanwhile, roll the pastry out on a lightly floured surface to a rectangle a little larger than this magazine and transfer to a baking tray. Roll the edges up and press down to create a raised border.
- Tip the creamy onions into a bowl. Mix in the grated cheese and most of the beaten egg. Spread the mixture over the pastry, then scatter over the tomatoes and crumbled cheese. Brush the borders with the remaining beaten egg, then bake for 20 mins until golden. Leave to cool, then cut into squares. Enjoy warm with salad or cold on a picnic.
- 4 slices thick white bread
- 350g tub four cheese sauce
- 3 spring onions, sliced
- 100g (or 4 slices) good quality ham, torn into large strips
- 50g cheddar, grated
- Toast the bread in a toaster. Meanwhile, mix the cheese sauce, onions and a grind of pepper together in a small bowl.
- Transfer the toast to a non-stick grill rack and drape the ham over each slice. Next, spoon the cheese sauce onto the ham and spread it around with the back of the spoon. Scatter the grated cheese over the sauce, then pop the rarebit under a hot grill until the cheese turns bubbly and golden. Cut each slice in half and serve while still hot.
- 250g pack shortcrust pastry, fresh or frozen
- 25g butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 medium potato, peeled and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme leaf
- 140g goat's cheese, broken into pieces
- 3 eggs
- 200g carton crème fraîche, half fat is fine
- 100g bag rocket to serve, optional
- Heat oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5. Roll out the pastry so it is large enough to fit a deep 23cm loose-bottomed tart tin, then line the tin with the pastry. Chill for 30 mins. Line the pastry with greaseproof paper, fill with baking beans and bake for 15 mins. Remove the paper and beans and return the tin to the oven for 5 mins until golden, then remove and set aside. Reduce oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4.
- Heat the butter and oil in a large frying pan, add the onions and potato and cook over a very gentle heat for 10-15 mins, turning occasionally, until golden and tender. Season if you want to, then add the garlic and thyme leaves, and cook for a further 3 mins. Tip into the pastry case along with the goat’s cheese and spread out evenly.
- Whisk the eggs and crème fraîche together, season if you want to, then pour into the pastry case and bake for 30-35 mins until lightly golden brown and just set in the centre. Serve warm, with rocket leaves scattered over if using.